Changwoon Han / 한창운
Office: Academic Building B604
2005, Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland College Park
1995, M.Sc., Mechanical Design and Production Engineering, Seoul National University
1993, B.Sc., Mechanical Design and Production Engineering, Seoul National University
- 2016–Present, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York (SUNY) Korea
- 2016-2017, Principal Researcher, Electronic Convergence Material & Device Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute
- 2007-2010, Director, Physics-of-Failure Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute
- 2006-2015, Managerial Researcher, Robust Components and System Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute
- 2005, Senior Researcher, Reliability Assessment Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute
- 2000-2004, Research Fellow, Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Maryland College Park
- 1999-2000, Research Engineer, Structure Design Team, Korea Aerospace Industries
- 1993-1999, Research Engineer, Aerospace Research & Development Team, Daewoo Heavy Industries
- Physics-of-Failure (PoF) based Reliability
- Lifetime Prediction and Improvement of Electronic System
- Prediction Model Development and Accelerated Life Test Design
- Design-for-Reliability using Simulation Approach
- Prognostics and Health Management (PHM) of Electronic Systems
- Photo-mechanics and Optical Measurement Technique Development
Major Research Achievements:
Dr. Han has extensive experience on the Physics-of-Failure (PoF) oriented reliability researches for electronic devices, modules, and systems over the past 15 years. PoF is an engineering-based approach to reliability that uses modeling and simulation to eliminate failures and optimize design by addressing root-cause failure mechanisms. It can be applied in the various research domains such as reliability assessment, life prediction and model development, accelerated life test (ALT) design, prognostics and health management (PHM), design-for-reliability (DfR), measurement and analysis of failure.
Representative Research Grants:
Total research funding awarded: $12M. Some selectives of these grants are:
- PI, National Research Foundation of Korea, “Development of Design-for-Reliability technology for the extension of solar cell module output warranty focusing on the cell interconnection”, (2018 – 2021).
- PI, Defense Acquisition Program Administration of Republic of Korea, “Accelerated Life Test Method Development for Defense Advanced RAM”, (2018 – 2020).
- PI, Korea Evaluation Institute of Industrial Technology (KEIT), Subproject of “System Reliability Improvement and Validation for New Growth Power Industry Equipment”, (2017 – 2019).
- PI, Republic of Korea Air Force, “Development of Diagnostic Method for Degraded Wire in Airplane”, (2015 – 2016).
- PI, Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), Subproject of “Development of Integrated Field Inspection System for PV String Performance Test and Fault Module Detection”, (2014 – 2017).
- PI, Korea Evaluation Institute of Industrial Technology (KEIT), “System Reliability Improvement and Validation for New Growth Power Industry Equipment”, (2014 – 2016).
- PI, IMT Corporation, “Intermittent Failure Diagnostics Technology Development for Airplane Electronics”, (2014 – 2015).
- PI, Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), Subproject of “Development of High Transparent Dye Solar Cell (DSC) BIPV Module for Window System”, (2013 – 2016).
Representative Major Publications (out of 120 publications):
- Changwoon Han, “Analysis of Moisture-Induced Degradation of Thin-Film Photovoltaic Module,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 210 (15), 110488 (2020).
- D. S. Woo, Changwoon Han, B. D. Youn, and K. J. Kim, “Thermal Modelling and Design of Dynamically-Controlled Heater Plates for High Temperature Processing of 300mm Wafers,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 33 (10), pp.1-8 (2019).
- Changwoon Han, Seungil Park, and Hyeonseok Lee, “Intermittent Failure in Electrical Interconnection of Avionics System,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 185, pp.61-71 (2019).
- Changwoon Han and Hyeonseok Lee, "A field-applicable health monitoring method for photovoltaic system," Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 184, pp.219-227 (2019).
- Changwoon Han and Hyeonseok Lee, "Investigation and modeling of long-term mismatch loss of photovoltaic array," Renewable Energy 121, pp. 521-527 (2018)
- Changwoon Han, S. Park, and W. Oh, “Reliability-Based Structural Optimization of 300x300mm2 Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell Module,” Solar Energy, 150, pp.128-135 (2017).
- Changwoon Han, “Verification Study of Lifetime Prediction Models for Pb-based and Pb-free Solders Used in Chip Resistor Assemblies Under Thermal Cycling,” Transactions of the KSME A, 40(3), pp.259-265 (2016).
- Changwoon Han and B. Han, “Board Level Reliability Analysis of Chip Resistor Assemblies under Thermal Cycling: A Comparison Study between SnPb and SnAgCu,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 28(3), pp.879-886 (2014).
- Changwoon Han, “Location-dependent Reliability of Solder Interconnection on Printed Circuit Board in Random Vibration Environment,” Transactions of the KSME A, 38(1), pp.45-50 (2014).
- Changwoon Han, C. M. Oh, W. S. Hong, Stress, “Analysis for Bendable Electronic Module Under Thermal-Hygroscopic Complex Loads,” Transactions of the KSME A, 37(5), pp.619-624 (2013).
- Changwoon Han, C. M. Oh, and W. S. Hong, “Moisture Diffusion Analysis for Bendable Electronic Module Under Autoclave Test Condition,” Transactions of the KSME A, 36(5), pp.523-528 (2012).
- Changwoon Han, C. M. Oh, and W. S. Hong, “Prognostics Model Development of BGA Assembly under Vibration Environment,” IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, 2(8), pp.1329-1334 (2012).