Achilles Vairis / 아킬레스 바이리스
1997, Ph.D., University of Bristol (UK), Mechanical Engineering
1988, M.Eng., Mechanical Engineering, University of Bristol
- 2016-Present, Professor of Department of Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York(SUNY) Korea
- 2003-2016, Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technological Education Institute of Crete
- 2000-2003, Mechanical Engineer, Mint, The Bank of Greece
- 1998-1999, Research fellow, National Technical University of Athens
- 1999-2000, Teaching fellow, Technological Education Institute of Athens
- 1998-2000, Visiting Lecturer, Military School of Aircraft Engineers
- 1998-1999, Research fellow, National Centre for Scientific Research “Demokritos”
- 1993-1995, Research fellow, Advanced Manufacturing and Automation Research Center
- 1992-1993, Mechanical Engineer, Industrial Property Organisation (Greek Patent Office)
- 1991-1992, Mechanical Engineer, Τoyota Hellas SA
- 1990-1991, Mechanical Engineer, Intrasoft S.A
- 1986-1987, Sponsored mechanical engineering student, Procter & Gamble Ltd
- Linear friction welding
- Frictional behaviour
- Numerical modelling of complex systems
- Analytical modelling
- Joining processes
- Manufacturing processes
- Machine design
- Biomechanical engineering
Major Research Achievements:
Dr. Vairis has long research experience on friction welding processes with collaborations in the UK, the Russian Federation and Italy, which have produced joint publications on the subject. In addition, research work has focused on nano-materials, modelling of complex systems and biomechanical systems, all of which have produced 46 journal papers, 58 conference papers and 4 patents. Publications have been cited over 800 times with an impact of an h-index of 11 and an i-10 index of 14.
Dr. Vairis is member of editorial board of Journal of Engineering Research and Technology Review and Applied Engineering Letters; reviewer for 28 scientific international journals; reviewer for research proposals in Greece, Portugal and Cyprus.
MEC 502: Conduction and Radiation Heat Transfer
MEC 499: Research in Mechanical Engineering
MEC 310: Introduction to Machine Design
MEC 214: Probability and Statistics for Mechanical Engineers
MEC 101: Freshman design innovation
Machine elements I
Machine elements II
Industrial control systems
Patents for engineers
Automatic control systems
Innovation & Intellectual property
Representative Major Publications (out of 114 publications)
- Vairis, A., “Investigation of frictional behaviour of various materials under sliding conditions”, European Journal of Mechanics A - Solids, 1997, vol.16, no.6, pp.929-945.
- Vairis, A., Frost, M., “High frequency linear friction welding of a titanium alloy”, Wear, 1998 vol.217, no.1, pp.117-131.
- Vairis, A., Frost, M., “Design and commissioning of a friction welding machine”, Journal of Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 2006, vol.21, no.8, pp. 766-773.
- Li, W.Y., Shi, S.X., Wang, F.F., Ma, T.J, Li, J.L., Gao, D.L., Vairis, A., “Heat Reflux in Flash and Its Effect on Joint Temperature History during Linear Friction Welding of Steel”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 2013, vol.67, pp.192-199.
- Yamileva, A.M. Medvedev, A.Yu. Nasibullayev, I.Sh., Selivanov, A.S.. Gazizov, R.K , Vairis., A., “A two-parameter 2D-model of the elastic stage of linear friction welding using ANSYS Mechanical finite element analysis programme”, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology Review, 2012, vol.5, no.3, pp.6-9.
- Favvas, Ε., Stefanopoulos, Κ., Vairis, Α., Nolan, J., Joensen, Κ., Mitropoulos, Α., “In situ SAXS investigation of dibromomethane adsorption in ordered mesoporous silica”, Adsorption, 2013, vol.19, no.2-4, pp 331-338.
- Fang, F., Li, W.Y., Li, J.L., Vairis, A., “Process parameter analysis of inertia friction welding nickel-based superalloy”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2014, vol.71, pp.1909-1918.
- Li, W.Y., Wang, F.F., Shi, S.X., Ma, T.J, Li, J.L., Vairis, A., “3D Finite Element Analysis of the Effect of Process Parameters on Linear Friction Welding of Mild Steel”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 2014, vol.23, pp.4010-4018.
- Li, W., Guo, J., Ma, T., Vairis, A., “Numerical Modeling of Linear Friction Welding: A literature review”, China Welding, 2014, vol.23, no.4, pp.1-7.
- Vairis, A., Stefanoudakis, G., Petousis, M., Vidakis, N., Tsainis, A.M., Kandyla, B., “Evaluation of an Intact, an ACL-Deficient and a Reconstructed Human Knee Joint Finite Element Model”, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2016, vol.19, no.3, pp.263-270.
- Zhang, Z., Li; W., Li; J., Chao; Y.J., Vairis, A., “Microstructure and anisotropic mechanical behavior of friction stir welded AA2024 alloy sheets”, Materials Characterization, 2015, vol.107, pp.112-118.
- Li, W., Vairis; A., Preuss; M., Ma, T., “Linear and Rotary Friction Welding review”, International Materials Reviews, 2015, DOI: 10.1080/09506608.2015.1109214
- Vairis, A., Petousis, M., Vidakis, N., Savvakis, K., “On the Strain Rate Sensitivity of Abs and Abs Plus Fused Deposition Modelling Parts, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 2016, DOI 10.1007/s11665-016-2198-x.
- Li, W.Y., Li, N., Yang, X.W., Feng, Y., Vairis, A., “Impact of cold spraying on microstructure and mechanical properties of optimized friction stir welded AA2024-T3 joint”, Materials Science and Engineering, 2017, DOI:10.1016/j.msea.2017.07.003.
- Li, W.Y., Chu, Q., Yang, X.W., Shen, J.J., Vairis, A.,Wang, W.B.,“Microstructure and morphology evolution of probeless friction stir spot welded joints of aluminum alloy”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2018, vol.252, pp.29-80
- McAndrew, A., Colegrove, P.A., Buhr, C., Flipo, B., Vairis, A., "A literature review of Ti6Al4V linear friction welding", Progress in Materials Science, doi:10.1016/j.pmatsci.2017.10.003