Achilles Vairis / 아킬레스 바이리스
Office: Academic Building B625
Ph. D. University of Bristol (UK), Mechanical Engineering (1997)
M. Eng. University of Bristol (UK), Mechanical Engineering (1988)
2016 – Present, Visiting Professor of Department of Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York (SUNY) Korea, Incheon, South Korea
2014 – 2016, Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technological Education Institute of Crete, Greece
2008 – 2014, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technological Education Institute of Crete, Greece
2003 – 2008, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technological Education Institute of Crete, Greece
2000 – 2003, Mechanical Engineer, Mint, The Bank of Greece, Greece
1998 – 1999, Research fellow, National Technical University of Athens, Greece
1999 – 2000, Teaching fellow, Technological Education Institute of Athens, Greece
1998 – 2000, Visiting Lecturer, Military School of Aircraft Engineers, Greece
1998 – 1999, Research fellow, National Centre for Scientific Research “Demokritos”, Athens, Greece
1993 – 1995, Research fellow, Advanced Manufacturing and Automation Research Center, University of Bristol, UK
1992 – 1993, Mechanical Engineer, Industrial Property Organisation (Greek Patent Office), Athens, Greece
1991 – 1992, Mechanical Engineer, Τoyota Hellas SA, Athens
1990 - 1991, Mechanical Engineer, Intrasoft S.A., Athens
1986 – 1987, Sponsored mechanical engineering student, Procter & Gamble Ltd. (U.K.)
MEC 101: Freshman design innovation
Machine elements I
Machine elements II
Industrial control systems
Patents for engineers
Automatic control systems
Innovation & Intellectual property
Linear friction welding
Numerical modelling of complex systems
Major Research Achievements:
Dr. Vairis has long research experience on friction welding processes with collaborations in China, the Russian Federation and Italy, which have produced joint publications on the subject. In addition research work has focused on nano-materials, modelling of complex systems and biomechanical systems, all of which have produced 38 journal papers, 57 conference papers and 2 patents. Publications have been cited over 340 times with an impact of an h-index of 9 and an i-10 index of 9.
Dr. Vairis is member of editorial board of Journal of Engineering Research and Technology Review and Applied Engineering Letters; reviewer for 23 scientific international journals; reviewer for research proposals in Greece and Cyprus.
Representative Major Publications (out of 95 publications)
- Vairis, A., “Investigation of frictional behaviour of various materials under sliding conditions”, European Journal of Mechanics A - Solids, 1997, vol.16, no.6, pp.929-945.
- Vairis, A., Frost, M., “High frequency linear friction welding of a titanium alloy”, Wear, 1998 vol.217, no.1, pp.117-131.
- Vairis, A., Frost, M., “Design and commissioning of a friction welding machine”, Journal of Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 2006, vol.21, no.8, pp. 766-773.
- Li, W.Y., Shi, S.X., Wang, F.F., Ma, T.J, Li, J.L., Gao, D.L., Vairis, A., “Heat Reflux in Flash and Its Effect on Joint Temperature History during Linear Friction Welding of Steel”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 2013, vol.67, pp.192-199.
- Yamileva, A.M. Medvedev, A.Yu. Nasibullayev, I.Sh., Selivanov, A.S.. Gazizov, R.K , Vairis., A., “A two-parameter 2D-model of the elastic stage of linear friction welding using ANSYS Mechanical finite element analysis programme”, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology Review, 2012, vol.5, no.3, pp.6-9.
- Favvas, Ε., Stefanopoulos, Κ., Vairis, Α., Nolan, J., Joensen, Κ., Mitropoulos, Α., “In situ SAXS investigation of dibromomethane adsorption in ordered mesoporous silica”, Adsorption, 2013, vol.19, no.2-4, pp 331-338.
- Fang, F., Li, W.Y., Li, J.L., Vairis, A., “Process parameter analysis of inertia friction welding nickel-based superalloy”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2014, vol.71, pp.1909-1918.
- Li, W.Y., Wang, F.F., Shi, S.X., Ma, T.J, Li, J.L., Vairis, A., “3D Finite Element Analysis of the Effect of Process Parameters on Linear Friction Welding of Mild Steel”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 2014, vol.23, pp.4010-4018.
- Li, Υ., Guo, J., Yang, X., Ma, T., Vairis, A., “The effect of micro-swinging on joint formation in linear friction welding”, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology Review, 2014, vol.7, no.5, pp.55-58
- Li, W., Guo, J., Ma, T., Vairis, A., “Numerical Modeling of Linear Friction Welding: A literature review”, China Welding, 2014, vol.23, no.4, pp.1-7.
- Vairis, A., Stefanoudakis, G., Petousis, M., Vidakis, N., Tsainis, A.M., Kandyla, B., “Evaluation of an Intact, an ACL-Deficient and a Reconstructed Human Knee Joint Finite Element Model”, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2016, vol.19, no.3, pp.263-270.
- Zhang, Z., Li; W., Li; J., Chao; Y.J., Vairis, A., “Microstructure and anisotropic mechanical behavior of friction stir welded AA2024 alloy sheets”, Materials Characterization, 2015, vol.107, pp.112-118.
- Li, W., Vairis; A., Preuss; M., Ma, T., “Linear and Rotary Friction Welding review”, International Materials Reviews, 2015, DOI: 10.1080/09506608.2015.1109214
- Vairis, A., Petousis, M., Vidakis, N., Savvakis, K., “On the Strain Rate Sensitivity of Abs and Abs Plus Fused Deposition Modelling Parts, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 2016, DOI 10.1007/s11665-016-2198-x.
- Vairis, A., Papazafeiropoulos, G., Tsainis, A.M., “A Comparison Between Friction Stir Welding, Linear Friction Welding and Rotary Friction Welding”, Advances in Manufacturing, 2016, accepted