GunWoong Bahng / 방건웅
Office: Academic building C622
1980-1982 Ph.D. Mat. Sci. and Eng., Northwestern University
1978-1980 MS, Mat. Sci. and Eng., Northwestern University
1972-1976 BSc in Engineering, Dept. of Metallurgical Eng., Seoul National University
- 2014.1. – Present, Leading Professor, SUNY Korea (The State University of New York, Korea)
- 2008-2015, Chairman, TC 5, Hardness, IMEKO (International Measurement Confederation)
- 2003-2008, Chairman, ad-hoc WGMM (Working Group on Materials Metrology), APMP (Asia Pacific Metrology Program)
- 2002-2006, Chairman, ANMET (APEC Network for Materials Evaluation Technology)
- 2003, 2007, 2010 Peer reviewer in Hardness for NMIJ, NIM, HKSCL
- 2012-2013. Div. of Industrial Measurement Standard, Center for Energy Materials Metrology
- 2009 -2011, Director, National Center for Standard Reference Data, KRISS
- 2006-2008, Director, Office of Global Partnership, KRISS
- 1989-2013. 12, Principal research scientist, KRISS, Served as Head, Microstructure analysis lab., Group Leader, Microstructure characterization lab. etc.
- 1984-1988, Senior research scientist, KRISS
- Water-assisted combustion technology
- Carbon dioxide capture using membrane technology
- Properties and structure of water
- Biological effect of far infrared wave from ceramics
- Microvesicle, pleomorphism, and origin of life
Major research achievements:
- He graduated from Seoul National University in 1976 with an honor and was elected as a member of outstanding engineering student society Tau Beta Pi at Northwestern University in 1980.
- Before he joined with SUNY Korea in 2014, he has worked at KRISS, Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science, the national metrology institute. Over the past 30 years, he worked in the area of mechanical testing, especially hardness measurement and materials metrology. He has played a major role in the establishment of the Center for Advanced Materials Characterization in KRISS as a part of JICA program supported by the Japanese government and has worked as a head of the Materials Property Laboratory, Microstructure Evaluation Laboratory, Office of Global Partnership and Director of the National Center for Standard Reference Data.
- He has actively participated in international activities in the area of measurement standards, especially materials metrology. He served as a chairman of the ANMET (APEC Network for Materials Evaluation Technology) from 2002 to 2006, chairman of the Working Group for Materials Metrology of APMP (Asia Pacific Metrology Program) from 2001 to 2008, and chairman of TC 5 (Hardness Measurement) of IMEKO from 2007 to 2013. Also, he has participated in many other technical committees of ISO, CIPM, VAMAS, etc., as a representative of Korea.
- In 2002, he received the Excellent Paper in Science and Technology Award from the Association of Science and Technology Societies. In 2004, he received an Order of Science and Technology from Korean Government. In 2008, he received the APMP Technical Activity Award in recognition of the commitment to the Working Group for Materials Metrology.
- While he was working as a specialist in materials metrology, he was keeping his eyes on the development of new materials, especially functional materials activating vitality. Since he joined with SUNY Korea in 2014, he is now actively searching for the realization of his lifelong dream, development of life energy enhancing materials for the people.
- He is currently carrying a project, “Verification of a radioactive waste treatment technology utilizing multi-complex microorganisms”, funded by the National Research Foundation of Korea.
- He wrote 30 papers in international journals, 33 papers in domestic journals.
- Wrote two books (New science changes the world, Ki moves the world)
- Translated 4 books, published 8 books as a co-author
- Invited speak 243 times, Presentations 103 times.
- Published 7 papers in University journals, 44 domestic conference papers, and 25 international conference papers.
- “Effects of differences in hardness measurement procedures on the traceability chain and calibration process”, with Nae Hyung Tak and Hae Moo Lee, Metrologia, vol. 50, pp. 249-256 (2013)
- “Development of heat-generating polyester fiber harnessing catalytic ceramic powder combined with heat-generating super microorganisms”, with Jong Doo Lee, Textile Research Journal, vol. 84 (11), pp. 1220-1230 (2014)
- “A new technology to overcome the limits of HCCI engine through fuel modification”, GunWoong Bahng, Dongsoon Jang, Youngtae Kim, Misoo Shin, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 98, pp. 810-815 (2016)
- “QELBY-induced Enhancement of Exclusion Zone Buildup and Seed Germination" by Abha Sharma, Dario Toso, Kurt Kung, GunWoong Bahng and Gerald H. Pollack, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2017, Article ID 2410794, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/2410794 (2017)
- “Effect of antioxidant water on the bioactivities of cells”, by Seong Gu Hwang, B. C. Lee, Ho Sung Lee, GunWoong Bahng, Int. J. of Cell Biology, vol. 2017, Article ID 1917239, 12 pages, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1917239 (2017)
- “Crystalline structure and mechanical property of nano-size clay particle embedded polyethylene terephthalate filament”, by Jun Yeon Hwang, Maya Kondo, Suji Lee and GWB, J. of Applied Polymer Science, DOI:10.1002/app.46321, Article accepted on 10 January 2018
- “Exclusion zone and heterogeneous water structure at ambient temperature”, by Seong Gu Hwang, Jun Ki Hong, Abha Sharma, Gerald H. Pollack and GunWoong Bahng, PLOS One, DOI 10.1371/journal.pone.0195057, accepted in March 2018.
- 1988, Transmission electron microscopy, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Chungnam National University
- 2007, Early childhood education and spirituality, Department of Early Childhood Education, Graduate & Professional School, Pusan National University
- 2015, Special lecture on Ki, Department of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, Graduate School, College of Korean Medicine, Kyunghee University